Located in the civil parish of Ticehurst, in the Rother district of East Sussex, the village is located at a busy crossroads on the A21, where two roads – the A268 to Hawkhurst and a secondary road, the B2087, cross it.
The origin of the place name is from the Old English words fliema and wella, meaning the spring of the fugitives. The place name appears as Fimenwelle in 1210.
In 1264, King Henry III and his army stopped at Flimwell on their way to the Battle of Lewes. During an argument, he learned that some local men, who were siding with the Barons, had killed his cook. In retribution, the Royal Army gathered 300 local people together in a field in the village and cut off their heads. This area is now known as Yellowcoat Wood.
In the 16th Century, Flimwell was one of the stages on the post road from London to Rye.
There are several excellent publications on Ticehurst Parish History, the main publications being:-
The High Weald in old photographs ( two editions)
Compiled by Brian Harwood 1990 & 1993
Originally published 1905 by R Balcombe and reprinted by Paul Minet 2008
Ticehurst, Stonegate & Flimwell ~ Francis Drewe
First published in 1991. Paperback 2002
Ticehurst: The Story of a Sussex Village ~ Leonard Hodson and Julia Odell
Published in 1925
There is a vast collection of Ticehurst History at The Keep, Falmer. ESCC Records Office.
Wadhurst History Society also holds some Ticehurst records including the Parish magazines.